Friday, April 24, 2015

HIS - STORY PART I


OLAUDAH EQUIANO was born in Nigeria around 1745. He was captured in West Africa when he was around 11 years old. In his own words, Olaudah Equiano tells what it was like :

"WE ARRIVED AT THE COAST. THE FIRST THING I SAW WAS A SLAVE SHIP. I WAS CARRIED ON BOARD. I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO BE KILLED. I SAW MANY BLACK PEOPLE. THEY WERE CHAINED TOGETHER. I WAS PUT UNDER THE DECKS. A TERRIBLE SMELL GREETED MY NOSE. I BECAME SICK AND WAS NOT ABLE TO EAT...








To read the complete narrative of OLAUDAH EQUIANO Google his name and get a copy of his book. After you are familiar with his account, consider the following questions:

1 - Why was it dangerous to be on the slave ship?
2 - Why, do you think, did the slave traders beat Equiano when he would not eat?
3 - What did Equiano think of his captors?






No comments:

Post a Comment